Are you ready for the next assignment in the Closet Edition of the Clutter-Buster Boot Camp? Great! Because, it’s time to start tackling some of our hanging clothes.
To keep it simple, this round I’m focusing strictly on any tops that you have hanging in your closet. For now, let’s ignore dresses, suits, skirts and pants. Don’t worry folks, we’ll get to them.
Clutter-Buster is all about taking a huge project (i.e. organizing your closet) and breaking it down into small, manageable, weekly tasks (i.e. organizing your hanging tops).
Ok, now that we have that settled, here are a few tips for tackling your hanging tops. (Of course these tips are super versatile and can be used for purging any type of clothing. They’re neat like that.)
1. Go through your tops QUICKLY and put each item into one of three piles: Keep, Donate and Maybe.
When going through clothing with my clients I hold up each item and make them decide, immediately, which of the three piles the item belongs in. The Maybe pile is for items they cannot make a fast decision about. I don’t like to slow down the flow of the purging process by stopping to try on or discuss Maybe items. Just put them in the Maybe pile and move on.
- When was the last time I wore this? If you can’t remember, let it go.
- Do I like they way I look/feel in this item? This is so important. If the answer is no, let the item go. Why should something take up room in your closet if you don’t enjoy wearing it?
- Is it in good shape?
3. Hang back up all of the items you are keeping. A great way to see simply and plainly which items get worn and which do not, is to use the Hanger Trick. I started switching around my hangers this summer and and I can say that, without a doubt, it made this round of purging SO much easier. So if you’re up for it, when hanging back up all your Keep items, switch those hangers around.
4. Revisit your Maybe pile. I like my clients to see what their closets looks like with only the items they immediately felt drawn to keep, before they revisit their Maybe pile. Doesn’t it look pretty? You love it, don’t you? Great. Now don’t ruin it by shoving back in a huge pile of items you weren’t sure about. BEFORE you start going through your Maybe pile, make a decision to let go of AT LEAST HALF of it…more if you can.
Well, ok, I’ll tell you. I went through my hanging tops this weekend, and I was able to let go of…are you ready?…thirty-four tops. I’ll say that again. THIRTY-FOUR TOPS! Having flipped around my hangers, there were so many items that immediately went into the donate pile since I could plainly see that I had not worn them in the past five months.
Ok…are you all charged up and ready to tackle some hanging clothes?! Sweet. Go for it…and let me know how it goes.
P.S. At the end of Boot Camp, when our closets have all been happily cleared of clutter, I’ll be publishing a post about “making it pretty.” Color order anyone?